Sunday, December 28, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

Well, my running joke over the past few years was that my New Year's resolution was to not make any resolutions. But this year I think that I am actually going to make a couple and try to stick to them. I think that part of this change of heart is because I am not a spring chicken any more. Now more than ever before I really am at a point where I need to make some changes to improve my chances of staying on this here Earth a little longer. I want to make sure that I am around to see my kids, my grandson, nieces and nephews grow up into men and women. And even though I don't have a lot of it to spare, perhaps I can impart a little wisdom to them along the way.

That is true immortality. Most of us will never write a great novel that will live on and be read after us. Most of us will never live a renowned or infamous life so that our names are recorded in history. But part of us lives on in what we teach to our children and children's children. My grandmother has been dead some 20+ years now, but she still lives on in the lessons she taught me: be decent, polite and respectful to everyone; be professional; have a strong work ethic...

So, getting back to my resolutions...
1. I need to lose weight - my doctor tells me that he feels that I am 100 pounds over weight. Me at 160 is a laughable idea. I have a broad frame, broad shoulders. I was built to carry a little extra weight, be it fat or muscle. But I have to agree 260 is an unhealthy weight at my age. If I can get back down to 200 I'll be happy.
2. In keeping with resolution #1, I really should take advantage of my gym membership. I haven't been since some time in November. Shame on me. Not only do I need to stay active, that's $20 a month down the drain - wasted since I haven't been to the gym.
3. I have a wicked sweet tooth. I always will. I'm going to have to try and keep that in check (he says as he pops another chocolate-covered espresso bean in his mouth LOL).
4. I spend a lot of time online - most of it is not productive. I do not plan on cutting back on the time I spend plugged in, but I want to make a conscious effort to blog more often because it really does help to reflect on my thoughts and sort them out on (virtual) paper. One of my best friends in the world lives in Florida and we do not keep in touch as well as we should, same with my sister in Texas and friend in Arizona. With all the time I spend in front of a computer screen you'd think I'd drop them a line once in a while, huh?
5. I have to be nicer to Bowen. He's going to turn 16 in `09 and the time remaining that he will be living under my roof is getting shorter and shorter. I want him to know that he's got a friend as well as a parent in me and that he can turn to me with his problems and when he needs help. I need to start showing him that...

Five resolutions doesn't seem to hard... I'm curious to see how I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment