Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My Own Personal Healthcare B.S.

So, my insurance company has told me that I can no longer take Lipitor™ for my hyperlipidemia. There is no generic (especially since Pfizer recently went to court to extend their patent a few more years) and it is very expensive. Even with insurance I was paying a dollar a pill for the stuff. BUT it works and it works really well. All my different cholesterol numbers look great, my liver enzymes are normal and I am not experiencing any aches and pains that can come from taking statin drugs. For me to continue to take Lipitor™, my doctor would have to petition my insurance company and give a reason why I need to be treated with Lipitor™ and not some generic equilovlent of some other statin drug.

Hopefully, whatever he puts me on works. If not, it will probably be a long, tortuous, trial and error experiment to find the right drug at the right dosage that keeps my cholesterol in check without making me feel like I've been hit by a truck or give me hepatitis.

No comments:

Post a Comment