Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What to read? What to read?

I have been doing a lot of reading recently, partially because of school and partially because I am just in the mood to read. It comes in cycles for me sometimes... I'll read voraciously for a few months and then only sporadically, kind of a bi-polar literary thing. Currently, I am in heavy reading cycle. So I've just finished reading Thomas Paine's Common Sense and Edmund Burke's Speech on Concilliation with America. But what to read next?

For historical texts, here's what I have lined up to read:
  • The Federalist Papers (have already dove into this a bit...)
  • Liberalism and the Social Problem by Churchill
  • An Essay Concerning Humane Understanding by John Locke
  • The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
  • 1776 by David McCullough
I picked a lot of these because I am currently taking US History in school (and loving it by the way,) but I don't want to get burnt out on history so here are some other things on my list. A lot of them are classics that I have never read and feel I should; some of them are books that I just want to read...
  • The Call of Cthulhu by H.P. Lovecraft
  • The Thirty-Nine Step by John Buchan
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Don Quixote by Cervantes (I have it in Spanish as well and might wait till my grasp of the language is good enough to tackle it)
  • The Madman by Kahlil Gibran (The Prophet is one of my all-time favorite books)
  • The Last of the Mohicans by Fenimore
  • The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton (...have never read her)
  • Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky
  • The Last Ringbearer (this is a retelling of The Lord of the Rings from the viewpoint of Mordor - it sounds really interesting.)
  • Daisy Miller by Henry James
  • Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
  • The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
  • Anna Karenina and War and Peace by Tolstoy
What do you think I should read next? Have you read any of these? What do you think of them? I would love to get your feedback on this...

No comments:

Post a Comment